- This event has passed.
Bookings open til 4pm Friday: ‘Body in the Library’ readings to launch the 25th Scarlet Stiletto Awards
April 27, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm$10 – $15
This year, the Scarlet Stiletto Awards offer more than $10,000 in prize money for the best crime or mystery short stories. Since 2012, the Melbourne Athenaeum Library has sponsored the ‘Body in the Library’ Award by offering a $1000 prize to the winner and $500 to the runner-up. This partnership has seen the number of entries grow each year – clearly a prize worth killing for.
Angela Savage, Director of Writers Victoria and winner of the 2011 Scarlet Stiletto trophy, will launch the 25th Scarlet Stiletto Awards and host celebratory readings of winning stories.
The ‘Body in the Library’ Award honours Agatha Christie and her pioneering 1942 Miss Marple novel of the same name. In the Foreword, Christie describes ‘the body in the library’ as a cliché of detective fiction and her novel consciously (and ironically) reworks the genre. Winning stories continue this grand tradition. Melbourne Athenaeum Library Manager Sue Westwood will read Christie’s foreword and then authors Jane Clifton, Susanna Lobez and Leigh Redhead will read:
- ‘Brought to Book’ (2012) by Kath Harper (Port Fairy, Vic.)
- ‘Caught on Camera’ (2015) by Jenny Spence (Balmain, NSW)
- ’Jane’ (2017) by Narrelle M Harris (Melbourne, Vic.)
Entry includes a glass of wine with cheese at 5.30pm. Readings from 6–7.30pm.
$15 / $10 members of the Athenaeum Library, Sisters in Crime and Writers Victoria
Seating is limited so bookings by Wednesday 25 April are essential
The Melbourne Athenaeum Library
188 Collins Street
03 9650 3100
Scarlet Stiletto Awards information
- April 27, 2018
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- $10 – $15
- Event Category:
- Official Sisters in Crime Events
- Event Tags:
- ‘Brought to Book’, ‘Caught on Camera’, ’Jane’, Agatha Christie, Australian crime writing, Body in the Library, crime books, crime fiction, crime non-fiction, crime writing, Jane Clifton, Jenny Spence, Kath Harper, Leigh Redhead, Melbourne Athenaeum Library, Narrelle M Harris, Scarlet Stiletto Awards, short story competition, short story readings, Sisters in Crime, Sue Westwood, Susanna Lobez, true crime, women authors, women crime writers, women's crime writing, women's writing, writing competition
- Carmel Shute
- 0412 569 356
- Athenaeum Library
Level 1, 188 Collins Street,
Melbourne, Vic 3000 Australia + Google Map
- 03 9650 3100